Teach Me to do it Myself by Maja Pitamic
This practical book is filled with fun, simple and inexpensive activities that you can do with your preschooler. Each activity has a picture next to its description, a numbered list of directions, a list of what you will need and similar activities to try. The book is divided into sections:
- Life Skills
- Developing the Senses
- Language Development (including letters, word building, and first sentences)
- Numeracy Skills (learning numerals, learning quantities, adding and subtracting numbers and quantities, and shopping number and numeral vocabulary)
- Science Skills
Some examples of the activities are:
- Distinguishing sounds with objects such as 2 pan lids or a jar of coffee to shake
- Musical scales using 5 glass bottles with varying levels of water.
- Discovering colors using paint color sample strips
- Understanding volume and estimation with water in different glass sizes
- Making land models with disposable dishes, paint and play dough
The book How to raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way has a chapter on exploring the wider world with the key idea that children are little scientists, with a drive for discovery. It includes ideas for working in the family garden, taking a walk in the forest, and making your own nature museum. Another chapter includes ways to build sensory awareness and sensory activities that help children learn such as texture matching.